Long-latency cerebral event-related potentials in multiple sclerosis

Author(s): Aminoff JC, Goodin DS


The objective of this study was to characterize electrophysiologically the basis of the cognitive dysfunction in multiple sclerosis. The cognitive dysfunction experienced by patients with multiple sclerosis has recently become more widely appreciated, but the best means of monitoring such function is unknown. Long-latency cerebral event-related potentials were recorded in a group of patients with relapsing/remitting or secondarily progressive multiple sclerosis and in a group of age-matched normal control subjects. Subjects were presented a series of auditory tones, with one (1,000 Hz) occurring during 86% of the trials (frequent tone) and the other (2,000 Hz) occurring during 14% of the trials (rare tone). Subjects were required to listen to the stimuli and count the occurrence of the rare tones. Cerebral responses recorded from the scalp were averaged separately for the rare and frequent tones. The N1, P2, N2, and P3 components of the long-latency response were all prolonged in latency in patients with MS, as were the N1-N2 and N1-P3 interpeak latencies. In addition, the amplitude of the P2 and P3 peaks was diminished in patients compared with control subjects. Significant correlations were found between the changes in both interpeak latency peak amplitude and the scores on the Mini-Mental State Examination. Electrophysiologic changes occur in MS that are the result of central disease (as opposed to involvement of primary afferent pathways) and correlate with cognitive status. The recording of event-related potentials may thus provide a useful tool, not only as an objective measure of cognitive function in patients with MS, but also as an aid in the evaluation of response to treatment.

Similar Articles

Neural network analysis of the P300 event-related potential in multiple sclerosis

Author(s): Slater JD, Wu FY, Honig LS, Ramsay RE, Morgan R

Event-related potentials in different subtypes of multiple sclerosis--a cross-sectional study

Author(s): Ellger T, Bethke F, Frese A, Luettmann RJ, Buchheister A, et al.

Cognition in epilepsy: a multichannel event related potential (P300) study

Author(s): Triantafyllou NI, Zalonis I, Kokotis P, Anthracopoulos M, Siafacas A, et al.

P300 event-related potentials in epileptic children

Author(s): Sunaga Y, Hikima A, Otsuka T, Nagashima K, Kuroume T

Auditory P300 event related potential in minor ischemic stroke

Author(s): Korpelainen JT, Kauhanen ML, Tolonen U, Brusin E, Mononen H, et al.

P300 assessment of early Alzheimer's disease

Author(s): Polich J, Ladish C, Bloom FE

Event-related auditory evoked potentials and multiple sclerosis

Author(s): Gil R, Zai L, Neau JP, Jonveaux T, Agbo C, et al.

Event-related potential P300 in multiple sclerosis

Author(s): Honig LS, Ramsay RE, Sheremata WA

Cognition in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a multichannel event-related potential (P300) study

Author(s): Triantafyllou NI, Voumvourakis K, Zalonis I, Sfagos K, Mantouvalos V, et al.

Transcranial Doppler and anesthetics

Author(s): Fodale V, Schifilliti D, Conti A, Lucanto T, Pino G, et al.

Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria

Author(s): Polman CH, Reingold SC, Banwell B, Clanet M, Cohen JA, et al.

Cerebral blood flow and event-related potential in patients with multiple cerebral infarcts

Author(s): Tachibana H, Toda K, Yokota N, Sugita M, Konishi K

Influence of regional cerebral blood flow on event-related potential (P300)

Author(s): Kuwata T, Funahashi K, Maeshima S, Ogura M, Hyotani G, et al.

Cognitive dysfunction in congestive heart failure: transcranial Doppler evidence of microembolic etiology

Author(s): Jesus PA, Vieira-de-Melo RM, Reis FJ, Viana LC, Lacerda A, et al.

Cerebral perfusion in relation to cognitive function and type 2 diabetes

Author(s): Tiehuis AM, Vincken KL, van den Berg E, Hendrikse J, Manschot SM, et al.