Author(s): Canene-Adams K,Lindshield BL, Wang S, Jeffery EH, Clinton SK, et al.
The consumption of diets containing 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables daily is the foundation of public health recommendations for cancer prevention, yet this concept has not been tested in experimental models of prostate cancer. We evaluated combinations of tomato and broccoli in the Dunning R3327-H prostate adenocarcinoma model. Male Copenhagen rats (n=206) were fed diets containing 10% tomato, 10% broccoli, 5% tomato plus 5% broccoli (5:5 combination), 10% tomato plus 10% broccoli (10:10 combination) powders, or lycopene (23 or 224 nmol/g diet) for approximately 22 weeks starting 1 month prior to receiving s.c. tumor implants. We compared the effects of diet to surgical castration (2 weeks before termination) or finasteride (5 mg/kg body weight orally, 6 d/wk). Castration reduced prostate weights, tumor areas, and tumor weight (62%, P<0.001), whereas finasteride reduced prostate weights (P<0.0001), but had no effect on tumor area or weight. Lycopene at 23 or 224 nmol/g of the diet insignificantly reduced tumor weights by 7% or 18%, respectively, whereas tomato reduced tumor weight by 34% (P<0.05). Broccoli decreased tumor weights by 42% (P<0.01) whereas the 10:10 combination caused a 52% decrease (P<0.001). Tumor growth reductions were associated with reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis, as quantified by proliferating cell nuclear antigen immunohistochemistry and the ApopTag assay. The combination of tomato and broccoli was more effective at slowing tumor growth than either tomato or broccoli alone and supports the public health recommendations to increase the intake of a variety of plant components.
Referred From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17213256
Author(s): Giovannucci E
Author(s): Giovannucci E
Author(s): Le Marchand L,Hankin JH, Kolonel LN, Wilkens LR
Author(s): Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M, Bowen PE
Author(s): Mohanty NK,Saxena S, Singh UP, Goyal NK, Arora RP
Author(s): Van Poppel H,Tombal B
Author(s): Madersbacher S, Berger I, Ponholzer A, Marszalek M
Author(s): Azimi H
Author(s): Kim HS, Bowen P, Chen L, Duncan C, Ghosh L, et al.
Author(s): Obermüller-Jevic UC,Olano-Martin E, Corbacho AM, Eiserich JP, van der Vliet A, et al.
Author(s): Herzog A, Siler U, Spitzer V, Seifert N, Denelavas A, et al.
Author(s): Schwarz S,Obermüller-Jevic UC, Hellmis E, Koch W, Jacobi G, et al.
Author(s): Dewell A, Weidner G, Sumner MD, Chi CS, Ornish D
Author(s): Park E,Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M, Sharifi R, Wu Z, Freeman VL, et al.
Author(s): Parsons JK, Newman VA, Mohler JL, Pierce JP, Flatt S, et al.
Author(s): Carmody JF,Olendzki BC, Merriam PA, Liu Q, Qiao Y, et al.
Author(s): vanBreemen RB,Sharifi R, Viana M, Pajkovic N, Zhu D, et al.
Author(s): Barber NJ, Barber J
Author(s): Hadley CW, Miller EC, Schwartz SJ, Clinton SK
Author(s): Richelle M,Bortlik K, Liardet S, Hager C, Lambelet P, et al.
Author(s): Burri BJ, Chapman MH, Neidlinger TR, Seo JS, Ishida BK
Author(s): Diwadkar-Navsariwala V, Novotny JA, Gustin DM, Sosman JA, Rodvold KA, et al.
Author(s): Limpens J,Schröder FH, de Ridder CM, Bolder CA, Wildhagen MF, et al.
Author(s): Yang CM
Author(s): Konijeti R, Henning S, Moro A, Sheikh A, Elashoff D, et al.
Author(s): Venkateswaran V,Fleshner NE, Sugar LM, Klotz LH
Author(s): Mucci LA,Tamimi R, Lagiou P, Trichopoulou A, Benetou V, et al.
Author(s): Liu X
Author(s): Chan JM, Weinberg V, Magbanua MJ, Sosa E, Simko J, et al.
Author(s): Siler U, Herzog A, Spitzer V, Seifert N, Denelavas A, et al.
Author(s): Talvas J,Caris-Veyrat C, Guy L, Rambeau M, Lyan B, et al.
Author(s): Qiu X, Yuan Y, Vaishnav A, Tessel MA, Nonn L, et al.
Author(s): SoaresNda C,Teodoro AJ, Oliveira FL, Santos CA, Takiya CM, et al.
Author(s): Teodoro AJ, Oliveira FL, Martins NB, Maia Gde A, Martucci RB, et al.
Author(s): Oborna I
Author(s): Kirsh VA,Mayne ST, Peters U, Chatterjee N, Leitzmann MF, et al.
Author(s): Peters U
Author(s): Kristal AR, Till C, Platz EA, Song X, King IB, et al.
Author(s): Ilic D, Forbes KM, Hassed C
Author(s): Bunker CH, McDonald AC, Evans RW, de la Rosa N, Boumosleh JM, et al.
Author(s): Schröder FH,Roobol MJ, Boevé ER, de Mutsert R, Zuijdgeest-van Leeuwen SD, et al.
Author(s): Barber NJ
Author(s): Edinger MS, Koff WJ
Author(s): Bowen P, Chen L, Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M, Duncan C, Sharifi R, et al.
Author(s): Morgia G, Russo GI, Voce S, Palmieri F, Gentile M, et al.
Author(s): Morgia G
Author(s): Morgia G,Mucciardi G, Galì A, Madonia M, Marchese F, et al.
Author(s): Blume-Peytavi U